Marco Polo – PA 2: The Director’s Cut (CD) (2013) (FLAC + 320 kbps)
Don’t let the name fool you. Producer Marco Polo is more time traveler than explorer. In the past decade, this T.O. native has been transporting listeners to an alternate dimension, somewhere between the 90s and the present, via a finely tuned drum machine and a magic sliver of vinyl handed down to him by a secret society of producers. Well, at least that’s what his music sounds like.
“My sound is definitely boom bap, I could never deny that. But I feel like it’s an updated sound,” says Marco, born Marco Bruno, who started making music in 1999 after buying an MPC drum machine with student loan money. The MPC and a pack of Newports as his sole accomplices, Marco made a bold move to NYC in 2001. As an assistant Engineer at renowned recording studio, The Cutting Room, MP honed technical skills and got to know some of the rap game’s finest as he refined his production chops.
The Marco Polo production credit quickly began to hold more and more weight, with production placement on projects from legends such as Masta Ace and Boot Camp Click. MP’s discog of features, collaborations and solo projects grew steadily, leading to the 2007 release of the critically acclaimed “Port Authority.” This debut production album – featuring a who’s-who of MC heavyweights including Large Professor, Kool G Rap and Buckshot – was a career milestone that claimed his place as one of the new school’s most respected beatmakers.
Fast-forward 5 years… The production credits continue to grow and MP has been seeing the world, connecting with the international hip-hop community. He is expanding his creative horizons into the world of licensing, having landed some noteworthy soundtracks, including a original song on the OST for the feature film “Kick-Ass 2”. He has provided the theme music for comedian Russell Peters’ performances and DVD’s and his original production was selected as the official theme song for the Brooklyn Nets telecast on the YES network, This highly dramatic and energetic instrumental – with horns inspired by the Menahan Street Band’s “Make the Road By Walking” (made popular by Jay-Z’s hit “Roc Boys” ) – caught the attention of a colleague on YES’s licensing team. In a classic case of clandestine timing, Marco’s theme found them in the 9th inning of their search for the perfect theme.
Fueled by the excitement of these opportunities and the exposure they have provided, his focus remains on his love of producing songs with his favorite MC’s and DJ’s. This summer will see the release of the long-awaited, most anticipated follow-up production album “PA2: The Director’s Cut.”
The lead single is a tribute to the late Keith Elam of Gang Starr, known to most as Guru, who passed away on April 19, 2010 due to complications from cancer. In addition, Marco reunites Organized Konfusion on “3 O’Clock” and King Tee and MC Eiht bring the hydroponic flows on “West Coast Love.” On the aptly titled “Astonishing” Large Professor, Inspectah Deck, O.C. and Tragedy Khadafi trade bars over a monster beat featuring scratches by DJ Revolution.
“The album is called ‘PA2: The Directors Cut,’ because it’s 19 songs. If you’ve got A.D.D. this is not the album for you.”
01. 3-O-Clock feat. Organized Konfusion (Pharoahe Monch & Prince Po)
02. Savages feat. Slaine, Celph Titled & Ill Bill
03. Earrings Off feat. Rah Digga
04. Can’t Get Enough feat. Big Twins, Nature & F.T.
05. Astonishing feat. Large Professor, Inspectah Deck, O.C. & Tragedy Khadafi
06. 6 Trill feat. Last Emperor
07. West Coast Love feat. Mc Eiht & King Tee
08. Wrong Girl feat. Reach & Reggie B.
09. Drunken Sleuth feat. Invincible
10. Intermission feat. Michael Rapaport
11. Emergency Man feat. Malcolm & Martin
12. Strange Brew feat. Gangrene (Alchemist & Oh No)
13. What They Say feat. Kardinal Offishall, Lil Fame (of M.O.P.) & Styles P
14. Parental Discretion feat. Breeze Brewin (of The Juggaknots)
15. Underdogs feat. Supastition & Shylow (of First Division)
16. R U Gonna Eat That feat. The Doppelgangaz
17. Sucka Free feat. Blaq Poet, Hannibal Stax & Panchi (of Nygz)
18. G.U.R.U. feat. Talib Kweli & Dj Premier
19. Glory (Finish Hard) feat. Masta Ace, A.G., Posdn
FLAC – Florenfile
320 kbps – Florenfile